Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Merging Documents

You appear to be describing a mail merge. See these articles:

How to create a Mail merge
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm

Creating a mail merge Data Source
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...DataSource.htm

You'll want to choose a Directory merge in Word 2003.

"Thomas M." wrote in message
Word 2003

I've done this in the past, but I just can quite remember how and the
on-line Word Help has been useless (I keep going in circles, and while the
on-line Help hints at WHAT needs to be done, but I haven't found where is
tells you HOW.).

I need to add fields to one document that will pull in data from another
document. I've set up a Word file as the source document, and that file
contains a simple tab with 3 rows--the header row and two rows of data.
In the future there will be more rows. The part that is eluding me at the
moment is how to link the source data document to the main document. Once
the two documents are linked I will also need to insert fields into the
main document and I'm not sure of the exact syntax that is required.
Finally, if at all possible I would like to have an extra blank line
inserted, but only when there is corresponding data in the source
document.

In summary, I need help with 3 things:

1. How do I like the source data document to the main document?
2. What syntax do I need for the merge fields in the main document?
3. How can I make it so that a blank line gets inserted, but only when
other data gets inserted too? Is there a way to make a hard return part
of the record that gets inserted?

--Tom