Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jen_writer jen_writer is offline

Default Old Cell Height and Width not working

Hello,
I have been using the old cell height and width function to assign my column
widths. However, whenever I have a table with merged cells, I run into a
problem with the column widths. E.g., the first 4 rows have 2 columns and the
rest of the table has 7 columns. the 7th column is supposed to be 0.8" but
this is what keeps happening: (1)I split the table so that it is only the
section containing 7 columns. (2) I type 0.8" into the cell height/width box
for column 7. (3) the column changes to 0.8" (4) I combine the table again.
(5) Five seconds later, the table automatically updates and the column
changes to 0.89" (6) repeat steps 1-3. This happens even when instead of
splitting the table, I highlight only the cells I want to change. The cells
change and 5 seconds later, they change back to the wrong dim.

I have tried setting the preferred table width in table properties and I've
also tried turning it off. I've gone to tables, autofit, fixed column width,
and that hasn't worked either. I am going crazy! please help!
thanks
Jen