Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Why can't I close all docs in Word07 while leaving the program

You're welcome. :-)

As a programmer I do understand they "why" behind the different interfaces
(MDI and SDI) but I think what really begs the question is Word 2003 uses
SDI (which was added in Word 2000) and it has the Close Document button.
They should have been able to do the same in Word 2007. And, as a
programmer, I see no "justifiable" rational for why they couldn't....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"jreish" wrote in message
Thanks Beth, great info. I knew there would be a reason for this, and
while
I'm not the techie I could still follow the gist of what you were saying.
Still begs the question as to why Microsoft did it this way in the first
place.

I added Close to the QAT and re-arranged, now let's see if this ol' dog
can
learn a new trick...

"Beth Melton" wrote:

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I also added Close to the QAT in Excel and use it instead of the X.
That
way the same button is used in all of the applications and "training"
yourself is easier.

No training needed here, as I've been using a Close button rather than
the
X for many, many versions now (from back when Word didn't even have an
icon for the button and I had to "borrow" it from Excel IIRC).

Back then I always double-clicked the button on the left side, the image
of
the hyphen below the image of the spacebar which closed the application,
close the document window. Then I trained myself to use the X on the
right
side of the screen. I think I should have added the Close button and
stuck
with the left side of the screen. g