Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Mail Merge Word 2007 to 2003

I greatly prefer to create all my data sources directly as either Word
tables or Excel sheets. I don't think I've ever actually used one of the
..mdb data sources used by Word 2002 and above.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The mdb format used by mail merge is a bit of a curiosity. If created by
Word 2007, it appears to need Access 2007 on the PC in order to re-open
it, though it is not a true Access 2007 file; however there is a
workaround. In Office 2007 add the old Mailmerge helper to the QAT
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm. Use this to edit
the data source attached to your merge document. This entails breaking the
link. When prompted save the data file as a Word 97-2003 document. The
resulting document is a Word table that you can use in place of the mdb
data source and will work with both Word versions.

Anthony wrote:
I currently use my personal laptop at work. The issue we have run
into is that I have Office 2007 and work has Office 2003. I created a
Word document and have been saving the Word Document as a 97-03 or
whatever file.

The thing is that when I email the mail merge forms (the .doc and
.mdb) files to work computers, the mdb file will not load in Word. I
think it may have to do with the fact that the mdb file is 07
oriented and 03 Word doesn't know what to do with it...

any suggestions?