Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Section Breaks interfering with my page numbers

FWIW, Normal view is still available in Word 2007, but it's now called
Draft, and it's the last (rightmost) of the View icons on the status bar.

"Cheryl Cavanaugh" wrote in
message ...
Mr. Blom, I have the same problem, but I'm in Word 2007. I've tried your
suggestion, switching to "outline" since I don't see a "normal" view
option
anymore (did in 2003) and indeed, I have a page with where two section
breaks
occur. I placed my cursor in between those section breaks, formatting the
page to "continue" instead of start at 1, but it did not change the
following
page (pages went 1, 2, 3, 2, 3, 4 (page 3 had the section breaks).

Following your suggestions below did not do the trick.

Cherie

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

If you look at the status bar, where the section number is listed, is
there an indication that the document has more than two sections? Note
that if a section is limited to part of a page (which might happen if
that part is formatted in columns, say), you won't be able to access
its header and footer, in which case you cannot open the Page Number
Format dialog box via the Header/Footer toolbar. The dialog box can
still restart page numbering, though. If you find any additional
sections, switch to Normal view, where it will be easier to see them.
Place the cursor in each of the sections found and choose InsertPage
Numbers. Click Format. Verify that "Continue from previous section" is
selected, click OK, and then click Close to close the Insert Page
Numbers dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Section Breaks interfering with page nos" wrote in message
I tried that but it didn't work!!!

The only way I seem to have solved it is by going to the page where

the
number changes and going to insert - page numbers - start at - and

putting
the number I wanted in. I had to do this for the whole document.

We have
had this problem before and no doubt will have it again so if you

have any
more suggestions I would be grateful.

The only other thing I can think that the problem is (but doubt it

very
much) is that the document has been emailed to a few people before

it comes
to me before it is formatted, I don't know if this has effected it

in any way.

Also when the document is printed out (100 page doc) one of the

pages prints
upside down - this has happend to a previous document - any

suggestions?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Place the cursor in the section where the page numbers change. On

the
View menu, click Header and Footer. Word moves the cursor to the
header and displays the Header/Footer toolbar. Click the Format

Page
Number button. Select the "Continue from previous section" option

and
click OK.

For more about page numbering, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm

For more about sections, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Section Breaks interfering with page nos" wrote in message
I have a document that has a number of section breaks in (due to
some pages
changing from portrait to landscape). The problem is that the

page
numbering
changes when the section break appears - Up to page 38 is fine

then
it has a
landscape page with a section break and that is numberd 34?

This
happens
throughout the document.

Can anybody help!!!