Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default From pdf to rtf to editable text?

Yes -- I agreed wholeheartedly with the dumbing-down complaint.

And I inquired about the WP compatibility features found in Word
through 2003 -- and learned that they were removed from 2007.

(Athematic aorists are all Greek to me.)

On Aug 20, 2:52*pm, Prof. JR wrote:
Hi Grammatim,

Hah! *Obscure to whom? g *They're not essays from a journal devoted to
athematic aorists improperly parsed by Liddell & Scott, but they are essays
from the early twentieth century, and from journals such as "Revue des
sciences philosophiques et theologiques," which may well be more obscure than
essays on certain types of second aorists g! *Indeed, none are in JSTOR,
sorry to say.

John

PS *Weren't you in on the conversation about creating a header as well as a
page number in the upper-right corner? *I appreciated the many comments that
folks had, and it truly helped to understand the basic approach of Microsoft,
but I'm not sure I was heard by some when I said that the various
pre-formatted options actually obscure and hinder rather than clarify and
help.

"grammatim" wrote:
On Aug 20, 11:33 am, Prof. JR
wrote:
Thank you, everyone, for your help:

These essays were all secured through Inter-Library Loan (ILL), which is a
library service that scans and sends articles not at your home research
library. *How the articles are done depends entirely on the ILL library that
responds to your request, but they all arrive pdf.

They must be pretty obscure if they're not in JSTOR!

The files are different foreign language articles from which I will use some
quotations in the current book on which I'm working. *Typing in some
languages required special letters or diacritical marks which can be inserted
from a symbol button, but the process can get laborious and I was hoping to
be able to simply cut and paste.

OCR (however good it may be) is usually stumped by diacritics anyway.

You should devise a systematic set of keyboard shortcuts for your
accented letters -- for instance, I use Ctrl-Alt-hyphen, {letter} for
all macrons, Ctrl-Alt-v, {letter} for all hacheks, Ctrl-Alt-u {letter}
for all breves, etc. (Install them from the Insert Symbol panel,
lower portion.)

Printing the files, and running them
through a scanner, and saving them in rtf, doesn't help because the OCR
software can't read the foreign characters and gets confused by footnotes,
running home to daddy and producing funny results. *The
printer/copier/scanner/fax/coffemaker/dishwasher/go-cart in the faculty
office may (or may not) have the ability to accept different OCR software,
but getting that changed would be more laborious than typing in diacritical
marks through the old hunt-and-peck method.

Once upon a time, when I wore bell-bottoms something like my nine year-old
daughter now wears, I had advanced placement in calculus when I went to
college. *Perhaps it's time to dust off some math skills, eh?

Nope, I have no math skills, only linguistics skills.

(For math there's Equation Editor, anyway.)

Thanks again.

John- Hide quoted text -