Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default open one document per session

rislander wrote:
There must be a setting that allows only one document at a time to be
opened per session. How can I set this. Thank you.

I don't know why you say there must be such a setting. There isn't one.

It would be possible to write a macro to force this, but it seems an odd
requirement to me. Many people keep two, three, even a dozen documents open
at the same time.

You can make set an option so that you can only see one of the open
documents at a time, regardless of how many are actually open in the
program. Go to Tools Options View and uncheck "Windows in Taskbar" (in
Word 2007, go to Office button Word Options Advanced Display and
uncheck "Show all documents in the taskbar"). If you want to switch among
the open documents, use the Window menu (in Word 2007, View Switch
Windows) or Ctrl+F6.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman