Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Why were ALT+numpad shortcuts removed?

I don't know the answer to this. I would have thought that the simulated
numeric keypad thus created would be designed to work just the same as a
built-in one, but perhaps in this instance it doesn't. I don't have any
experience with laptops nor with the numeric keypad; perhaps someone who has
will be able to answer.

"Snort" wrote in message
Suzanne:

I have tried it repeatedly. Could it be because I am using a notebook
keyboard? The numpad is activated by holding down another key and using
letter keys (which have second labels). Do I need to turn this on
somewhere?

grammatim:

creating shortcuts would sort of keep with my original problem-- using
multiple methods to input the same character, though I may do it if I
can't
get the alt+numpad codes to work.

"grammatim" wrote:

Spanish and German are both fully covered by the out-of-the-box
keyboard shortcuts in Word. And for the few extra letters of Old
English or Icelandic that you use, why not create similar keyboard
shortcuts of your own?

Snort wrote:
I have used these forever. ALT+0222 for example, is capital Thorn (Þ).
It
works fine in any textbox in Windows except for Office. According to
the
help, I have to use a different code, and then highlight it, then hit
ALT+X.

So, does this mean that I have to memorize an entire new set of codes
for
Office? I need to be able to write relatively quickly in Spanish and
German
from an American keyboard. It's pretty easy with the ALT+numpad
shortcuts,
and I already know them. The instant I step into Office software,
though, I
have to play by different rules.

Am I missing something here?

If I am not, why the change??