Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Seach doesn't find reference number

I wrote a paper with lots of citations to other works, all of which
are detailed in a References section. When I search for (say)
"[13]" (without quotes), I locate the citations in the body of the
report. But I don't find the reference listed in the References
section, even though it starts with "[13]". I understand that there
are machinations at work under th surface (variables, field codes,
things that I'd rather not have to deal with in a wysiwyg
environment), but does the Word 2003 search facility not search based
on the text as seen by the user rather than the underlying code?