Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Incorrect date format coming across in mail merge from excel

They are not going to change it.

Word reads the data in its raw underlying format, which is stored in an
American date format - hardly surprising given that it is an American
application. However all the tools required to format to match any language
requirements are provided.

Up to and including Word 2000, Word connected to its merge data source using
DDE (which is still available). DDE is unreliable, but it did bring over the
formatting from the data source. From Word 2002 Microsoft changed to the
more reliable OLE DB method of connection. This does not bring over the
formatting, so if you want something other than the raw data you will have
to format it in Word - which Macropod has demonstrated.

Tom wrote:
OK. But surely the question is why Word does this and how can MS be
persuaded to change it?

"macropod" wrote:

Word 2003 was no different.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Tom" wrote in message
macropad - Thanks for the solution but it only goes to show how
crap MS software is and how arrogant Americans are. This happens on
my machine even though my regional settings are set to English
(Ireland). Why then should Word default to the US date format,
without giving me the option of changing this option?
This used not happen if Word previous to 2003.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Ames,

You can solve this by adding a date formatting switch to your
mergefield. To do this: .. select the mergefield and press
Shift-F9. You should see something like: {MERGEFIELD myDate} ..
edit the field to include the formatting switch of your choice.
For example: {MERGEFIELD myDate \@ "d/M/yyyy"} or {MERGEFIELD
myDate \@ "ddd, d MMMM yyyy"}. The formatting options are the same
as you'd get in Excel. .. press F9 to update the field .. run your
mailmerge.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Ames" wrote in message
Hi there..

I am mail merging date fields from excel spreadsheet listed in
format 24 September 2008 but when they come across into the word
doc they display as the US date format 9/24/08.

I have checked the language settings to make sure they are
English - Australian (not US) on the word doc. I have tried
selecting the correct date format when editing the toggle fields.
I'm stuck! help!! ...any suggestions??