CyberTaz

Hi Kevin-

If I understand your question, I get the impression that you are not opening
the .dot when you want to revise it. Instead you are creating a new doc
_based on_ the template. That would explain why you are being prompted to
name it when you save. The other possibility is that you have been misled by
the Template option in the FileNewTemplates dialog box. That option
generates a new .dot file based on the .dot you choose, it doesn't open the
original .dot, itself.

If you do want to modify the original .dot, navigate to the folder where it
is stored as you would navigate to a folder to open any other file, but
change your Files of Type (below the File Name field) to Document Template.
You can then save as usual directly to that .dot file without being prompted
to rename.

If I've missed the point, please clarify.

HTH |:)

"Kevin" wrote:

I've created a Word 2003 template (.dot file). I'd like for this file to save
back to the .dot file without having to rename it whenever I open and make
changes to the .dot file. Is this possible? In other words, is there a way to
change the default save setting(s) for a Word document/template?