Andy

Thanks for the pointer. I did some searching both at Google and at
his site http://www.brianlivingston.com/ but couldn't find this
one.

Like I said, it wasn't a real good tweak, maybe he vanished it g.
Try WindowsSecrets.com/041118.

Below is the excerpt that describes how to display the Local Machine
Zone (the My Computer icon I was talking about) so you can edit the
settings under the Security tab. Be careful! Write down the default
settings since there's no option to re-set them (learned the hard
way)! If your problem is the script settings, this might be a way to
get to them. Do this at your own risk! There are probably
ramifications I'm not aware of, so make sure you can undo any changes
you make.

When I followed his recommendations regarding the settings to the
Local Machine Zone, I began getting script warnings like you
described. I had to re-set the Local Machine Zone settings to
"Medium" or "Low" to stop the warnings.

If you can't or don't want to use commercial software to tighten the
security of the Local Machine Zone, you should at least lock it down
manually, which costs nothing.

Although the Local Machine Zone is a security zone used by Internet
Explorer, by default it is hidden from users. That means when you
click Tools, Internet Options in IE and select the Security tab (as
described earlier), the Local Machine Zone doesn't show up as one of
the zones you can configure.

Microsoft documents in its online Knowledge Base a Registry setting
that makes the Local Machine Zone visible. This doesn't affect its
security, it simply makes it possible for you to alter the security
settings of the zone.

Before altering the Registry, first make sure you back it up and know
how to restore it if you make a mistake.

Then click Start, Run, type regedit and click OK. In the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder, find the following Registry key:

SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \
Zones \ 0

In that key, the Flags value, which is a DWORD, controls whether or
not the Local Machine Zone is visible in IE's Security tab. Set the
data value to 47 (in hexadecimal) to display the zone or 21 (in
hexadecimal) to hide it.

Microsoft's description of this procedure is in KB article 315933.

Andy