Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix Gordon Bentley-Mix is offline

Default Paragraph Spacer

If it's in emails, it has nothing to do with Word.

It does if you use Word as your email editor.

If it were in Word, it's perfectly simple to turn off, but you
shouldn't.

Ditto the advice that Graham and Suzanne have given. Displaying/hiding
non-printing characters is a matter of personal preference - although for
"professional" users of Word the preference seems to be to have them show. If
it were critical to the use of Word that non-printing characters be visible
all the time, then this would be the default setting and there would be no
option to hide them.

Providing responses that represent your personal view of how thing should
and shouldn't be done and presenting them is a way that could be construed as
"mandatory" - i.e. the only "right" way to do things - is neither helpful nor
constructive. It is far better to make recommendations on best practices and
back up those recommendations with solid reasoning, but statements like "[i]f
everyone learned to use their paragraph marks correctly" are rude and
demeaning and smack of superiority.

If I were responding to the OP, I would take an approach similar to
Suzanne's and directed the her to the MVP article, which does an excellent
job of providing detailed information on the cause of the "problem", methods
for resolving it and recommendations on best practices. I might have gone on
to say that I usually work with non-printing characters visible as it gives
me greater control over the finer details of my documents, but I would
_never_ tell someone that they _shouldn't_ hide them. After all, even if I
have the letters "MVP" after my name, who am I to tell someone how they
should work?

Perhaps you should have a look at the "About Us" article on the MVP site
(http://word.mvps.org/AboutMVPs/index.htm) - especially the section entitled
"How NOT to become an MVP".
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Uninvited email contact will be marked as SPAM and ignored. Please post all
follow-ups to the newsgroup.

"grammatim" wrote:

If it's in emails, it has nothing to do with Word.

If it were in Word, it's perfectly simple to turn off, but you
shouldn't.

On Jan 31, 9:40 pm, Lorraine
wrote:
Hi, I have somehow managed to add a paragraph spacer??? to my e-mails and
now can't get rid, does anyone know how to remove this???

it looks like a backwards P