Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Insert-symbol pop-up does not come up

"aardvark69" wrote in message
I have just installed Office 2003 on Vista Home (original system on the
laptop, but no opportunity to get new Office yet). Some features don't
appear
to work. Of particular importance to me is the availability of symbols and
special characters. The menu item is where it is supposed to be, but the
pop-up does not appear. Other Insert menu items appear to work (picture,
equation). Is this a Vista problem or is there a flag that can be set?

Do you have a printer installed? Word uses the printer driver information
for various tasks, such as gathering the list of fonts the printer
recognizes when you access the Symbols dialog box. If you don't have a
printer installed at all then Word can operate with internal printer
information but I'm not sure if that extends to the Symbols dialog box since
the printer driver is queried the first time you access the dialog box in
your current Word session.

If you dont have one installed, try installing one. Note you do not need a
physical printer attached to install a printer. I usually install an HP
Laser Jet printer for these situations. But if there's a printer you will be
using then install the driver for it instead.

--
Beth Melton

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx