Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura[_4_] Laura[_4_] is offline

Default waiting for microsoft access to accept dde commands

Oh Doug.. sadly, no help. I checked the "Confirm conversions at open" (it
was there as you said), but still no joy. It says on the status line that
it's opening Access, but then Word freezes and is "not responding". It gets
as far as the Merge Helper Get Data.. I click it, find the database and then
nothing.

I wonder if it's XP SP3. I wonder if it's Word as it won't pick up data from
Excel either. In the end I Saved my query as Microsoft Word Text and then
did the Merge/Get Data with the text file as my source, but this is not a
good solution as the data has to be exported each time. I wonder what else I
can try. As I said at the start, I recently did a system restore as my
computer had slowed down so much, just reinstalled and updated everything
that I had on there before. This is the first time I have tried a Mail Merge
since doing that.

Any other suggestions welcome and thanks for your help.
Laura

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
wrote in message ...
In Word, try selecting Options from the Tools menu and then go to the
General tab and check the box against the item "Confirm conversions at
open" if there is such an item in Word 2000 (I do not remember if there is
or not). After doing that, when you attach the data source to the mail
merge main document, try one of the other methods of connection that are
displayed.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Laura" wrote in message
Hi Doug,

Boy do I need you right now.. I don't know what else to do. I have a
laptop next to me with a similar configuration and it works, but not on
my PC. i.e., same operating system and same version of Office.

The Option "Ignore DDE requests" is and was unchecked on both machines.
The Option "Enable DDE refresh" IS checked.

What else can it be? I need to do this mailmerge on the PC, if possible.
Could it be an XP issue?

Laura

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
wrote in message ...
From the Tools menu in Access, select Options and then go to the
advanced tab and make sure that the Ignore DDE requests box is
unchecked.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Laura" wrote in message
I hope someone can help me soon as I'm very frustrated. I have Office
2000 Professional and Windows XP SP3. I recently reinstalled everything
on my computer after doing a system restore and for some reason which I
cannot work out, I cannot do a Mail Merge using a Table in Access (or
even a Spreadsheet in Excel) with Word.

I have my Word document open and I click on Tools, Mail Merge, Active
Window. When I click on Get Data and locate my Access table it opens
the Access table and then it hangs and eventually I have to quit Word
all together. I see this message on the status bar of Word -

waiting for microsoft access to accept dde commands

But nothing happens. I'm at my wits end. I have uninstalled Office and
re-installed it.. still nothing. What is the problem? Hope someone can
help soon - I have a huge mailmerge to do tomorrow.

Thanks
Laura