Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Wood Jim Wood is offline

Default Overprinting in folded booklet

Thanks, Suzanne;

In a way it's a comfort to know that it's not "something I did".

Jim

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is a known problem with no known cause, and the only solution is the
one you have already discovered: to save in Word 97-2003 .doc format.

It would be nice to think that MS is furiously working on a fix, but
problems that have a workaround (and don't crash the app or cause loss of
data) rarely command much attention or resources.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jim Wood" wrote in message
I have a 24-page folded booklet (six 8.5 x 11 sheets) that was originally
created in Word 2003. It 'ported over' to my new Vista machine and Word
2007
just fine, and I continued to make changes in the document. I saved it as
both a .doc and .docx format, and on the screen there seems to be no
difference between the two, either in the Print Layout mode, where is
where I
type, or in the Print Preview mode.

But when I go to print, the .docx has several facing pages where text or
images hop over to the other side of the sheet, overpringint onto what's
already there. This happens whether I print with my HP ink jet or with
one
of three different PDF (virtual) printers. The .doc, saved like a Word
2003
document, prints just fine, and both versions look identical in the Print
Preview mode. It's just the .docx that actually prints incorrectly. Is
there something in the .docx that 'looks' different to the printers? I'd
love to get to the bottom of this, as I have several similar booklets
created
in Word 2003. Fortunately, if they are kept as .doc files, everything is
fine.