Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Help: try to send an e-mail to multiple recipiant in outlookbut i

The problem here probably results from the fact that you are composing
your message in the "Word editor" in Outlook. Typically, when you
prepare a mailmerge to email with an Excel data source, you would create
the document in Word as an ordinary document (i.e. you would not even
see the email details box at the top of the document, like you would
when preparing an email in Outlook).

Then, after you have attached the Excel data source, follow the Mail
Merge Wizard (assuming that is what you are using) through to the end.
When you try to perform the merge, you should see a dialog box that lets
you specify the format (plain text, HTML, or attachment), the Subject
(which is the same for every email in the merge) and the field n your
Excel source that contains the "To" address. Alternatively, you can
enable the mailmerge toolbar (e.g. using View-Toolbars) and clcik the
appropriate button near the right hand end to get this dialog box and
perform the merge.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Richy wrote:
Hi,

I have been trying to perform a mail merge with Outlook 2003.

I have the text of the message all set and open as an e-mail message in
outlook.

I next go to Tools/letters and Mailing/mail merge.
I then select Document type as e-mail message.
In Select Starting Document: I select "Use current document"
"Select recipients"
Use existing list: I point Outlook at an existing excel file using Browse.
"Select Data source" box comes up and existing EXCEL file chosen.
Next: "Write your letter": The text is alread open in outlook mail.
Choose "Greeting Line" and Dear and Joshua and , and then match fields with
first name column and greeting line place holder appears in the proper place.

After this is where the problem occurs. I can't seem to be able to point
mail merge so that it will take the list of e-amil address from that excel
spredsheet. The e-mail is ready to send but there is nothing in the TO: line.

Can anyone point me in the proper direction?

I have the merge pointed to the
excel spread sheet. The Place holder for the forename greeting seems to work
when I link it to the excel spreadsheet but afte that I can't seem to figure
out how to get the message in outlook to pull the e-mail addresses from the
same excel spreadsheet so that the message can be sent. The TO: field is
empty and of course that won't work.

This is running on exchange server.

What the heck am I doing wrong?