Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How To Convert Thousands of Works 7.0 Files to Word 2007 Simultaneously

If you use the search function to find all the wps files Explorer will
display the foldernames that contain them. The revised version of the macro
can then be used to process each named folder in turn and will indeed
*convert* all the files in that folder. What it won't do is iterate through
all the folders on your hard drive.

A batch process is a process that runs on a group or batch of files. The
macros I posted will run on a batch comprising all the files in a single
folder. I regret I do not have a function to hand that works on the complete
folder structure (though I will look into it).

Jeffrey L. Hook wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Graham.

I was never a fan of Kurt Vonnegut. His writing seemed to me to be a
type of literary slapstick which was too clownish for my taste. I
read his novel "Cat's Cradle" many years ago and I remembered the
concept of "Ice Nine." This was a modified form of water which melted
at 114 degrees Fahrenheit. "Ice Nine" had a "contagious" effect so
that the exposure of any amount of it to any water in the natural
environment anywhere would begin an irreversible "chain reaction"
which would quickly freeze all water around the entire world. The
idea was ridiculous but it did impress itself on me as an example of
an automatic process which produced undesirable results:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&n...22&btnG=Search

I was looking for an automatic conversion process which could have
been started at the root of my data directory and which would have
then worked down, or out, or up, or whatever the direction would be.
I wondered if I'd "trip" a type of "Ice Nine" "chain reaction" if I
began to run such a process.

You also seem to be leery of unintended results but I'm only talking
about conversion of data files from one application to another. I
don't think an automatic conversion process could create a disaster.
I routinely back up all of my files and I could create a back up
immediately before I began an automated conversion of all Works
documents in my data directory. If the process went awry I could
replace the data directory with the back up copy.

So far, my best method seems to be to use my desktop search engine
(Dave Vest's "FileLocator Pro") to obtain a list of all Works 7.0
documents in my entire data directory or in any sub-directory.
FileLocator Pro will list all such files from any folder in which I
run it along all paths, in all sub-folders. I'll then be able to
open each file in each of the the search engine's "search results
list," one-by-one, by using each file's own context menu. I can then
use my own simple macro in each file to convert, save, and close each
file with a single mouse click. My macro uses the "Office\Convert"
method, rather than the "Office\Save As\Word Document" method. The
"Convert" method deletes the original Works file and only leaves the
converted Word 2007 file.

I can chip away at my backlog of Works 7.0 documents by using my
method but I continue to think that, "Ice Nine" scenarios
notwithstanding, the automatic conversion of many files of the same
type from one application to another must be routine at the
enterprise level. I assume this is done in large international
organizations, for example, with hundreds of thousands or even
millions of files. I'm a single home user who doesn't even have a
home network. I'm only using a single system unit with two internal
hard drives and four partitions, one of which is my "boot" partition
and another of which is my "active data" partition but Word 2007 does
seem to be designed for enterprise use, and I remain surprised that I
haven't yet been able to find instructions about how to convert all
of my Works 7.0 documents to Word 2007 "at the flip of a switch."
Maybe Microsoft was also worried about unintended consequences of
powerful automatic processes.

I assume that "batch conversion" may be the jargon which IT
professionals use to refer to the type of process which I'm seeking.

Thanks again, Graham.

Jeff Hook, NJ, USA

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The macro is simply a generic batch processing function that works at
an individual folder level, using built-in dialogs to enable the user
to select the folder. It opens each file in the folder that matches
the search string (here *.wps) and saves those documents as Word docx
format.
It has no ability to search across a range of folders. (snipped)