Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeffrey L. Hook Jeffrey L. Hook is offline

Default How To Convert Thousands of Works 7.0 Files to Word 2007 Simultaneously

Graham:

I've tested your macro.

The macro seemed to work well. Its icon button was displayed on the
Developer ribbon when the DOTM file was opened directly from within the
WinZip archive and I thought I could run the macro there if I could see it.
When I clicked the macro's button I was shown the "Browse" dialogue, I
selected the desired starting folder, and I clicked the "OK" button but the
macro wouldn't run until I'd extracted it to the Word\STARTUP system folder
which you identified.

I tested the macro on a "straight copy" of my entire data directory which
I'd pasted to an external USB2 hard drive on February 8th of this year.
(That content had simply been copied via the Windows Explorer Edit\Copy and
Edit\Paste menus from the data partition of one of the two internal hard
drives to the data backup partition of the external hard drive.) The USB
connection may have slowed the macro down but the speed seemed to be pretty
good. I assume the macro may operate more quickly in the current directory
on the internal hard drive.

The macro didn't blacken the screen. It seemed to close all Word 2007 files
which had been open when I ran it, asking me if I wished to save any unsaved
changes, and closing without comment files which had no unsaved changes. It
then operated "under cover of" the apparent "basic GUI" of the Word 2007
executable, the standard Word 2007 interface which was identified as
Microsoft Word non-commercial use on its Title Bar. Text along the bottom
of the Word GUI identified the files and indicated whether they were being
converted or saved. The macro did "drill down" along file paths, through
sub-directories.

The only problem resulted not from any defect of your code but from a larger
than expected number of old Works 4.0 files. I wonder if any macro could be
written to evade this problem. For each of those old files the conversion
process was stopped, an annoying sounder was played, and I was shown a
"Microsoft Office Word" "yellow triangle and black exclamation point"
security warning. I was told the file "needs to be opened by the Works 4.0
for Windows text converter, which may pose a security risk if the file you
are opening is a malicious file." It was necessary to left-click the
security warning's "OK" button to proceed for each file. These files popped
up persistently in the older sections of my directory. I wasn't given a
"Yes to all" option, so the repeated displays of this warning slowed the
batch coversion down and precluded the unattended automatic operation which
your code would otherwise have been able to complete. If I'd left the
system, hoping the conversion would have continued unattended until all
files were converted, I'd have returned to find that the entire process had
stopped as soon as the first of those old files was encountered.

I'd been seeing those same security warnings when I was "banging through"
lists of files which had been displayed by my desktop search engine. I may
be able to set the desktop engine to look only for WPS files which were
modified between dates which may be old enough to catch many of the old
files. I can then use my own method of opening those files in Word 2007 by
using their context menus directly in the search engine's list, and I can
use my own simple "one at a time" macro to convert, save, and close each
file from its Quick Access Toolbar in Word 2007. I can then return to the
search engine's list for the next file, etc.

Thanks again, Graham!

Jeff Hook, NJ, USA

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message

....I have found a minor bug in the add-in whilst testing, now fixed and
updated
on the web site. It shouldn't affect the process, but I took the opportunity
to remove some superfluous code. It seems reliable even running it on my
full C drive of 200 gb without drama!

If it works for you, let me know and I'll post a permanent link on my web
site...