Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Strange File Save behavior

Exit Word. Then locate and rename the normal.dot file. Normal.dot will be in
your user profile, but you can find it quickly via Windows find utility
(press Windows key + F to open it). Be sure to search hidden files and
folders.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul B" wrote:

I'm consistently seeing some curious behavior when I go to Save
new documents.

First, I'll Save the document with absolutely no hiccups.

Then, on the next Save operation, I will get a notice that there
are errors in the file. Do I want to see the repairs or just
save, or cancel. If I select See the repairs, nothing shows, so I
just Save.

Thereafter, Saving the file occurs without incident.

So, I think there is an error in my Normal.dot template, but it's
minor enough that it doesn't show. Since I've redone much of the
template, and exported elements out to auxiliary templates to
lighten the load on normal.dot, I don't think there's much I can
do about that.

But what baffles me is why the error doesn't show up on the FIRST
Save rather than the second.

p.
--
Using Office 2003 sp3 on Windows XP Home