Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ted medin ted medin is offline

Default Buffalo Network hard drive

Ben M. Schorr - MVP wrote:
The Buffalo devices have very poor support for file-level or
folder-level permissions. I wouldn't be surprised if you simply CAN'T
set an individual file as Read-Only.

In the past in order to give our clients Read-Only folders on a Buffalo
device we had to set up a totally separate share on the Buffalo and
assign the proper read-write/read-only permissions to that separate share.

And yes, it's a hassle. And yes, we probably won't be deploying any
more Buffalo devices, even though we otherwise really like them, for our
business clients simply because their file/folder-level security support
is so poor.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"MMAP HQ" wrote in message
:

About 6 weeks ago we moved our corporate data from a pc's hard drive to a
buffalo network hard drive (NHD). Everything seemed to be working ok.
Today
I found out that linked documents into another document does not work. We
normally link a heading into all our form documents. In the past we could
change the heading & the changes would show up in the form document when
word brought up the form document. But no more :-). I also found out that
making a file read only no longer works when the file is on the NHD. I
can
set the property read only but when I bring it up again the read only is
gone. Anyone got an idea or where to start? TIA

--
_________
MMAP HQ

Wonder what NHD u are going to. TIA