Charles Kenyon

Do not make the User Templates folder a network drive. Look into the
Workgroup templates folder.

Set up a login script for your laptop for when it logs into the network.
Have that script copy the workgroup templates from your desktop to your
laptop (or update them) when you log into the network from the laptop.

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"RJB" wrote in message
My templates are all on a desktop, and I modify them frequently.

I also use a laptop a lot, sometimes in the network (conference room,
etc.)
and sometimes on the road.

I mapped the folder that contains the templates as a Network Drive, and
set
that to be my "User Templates" in File Locations. So far so good.

But what to do when on the road?

I created a suitcase, and set that up as "Workgroup Templates" in File
Locations - thinking that I'd have a live backup of templates, but would
only
use it when outside the network... But Word doesn't "find" it, it reverts
some other "Normal.dot".

Anybody else licked this problem?

Thanks!