Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter Hansen[_2_] Peter Hansen[_2_] is offline

Default Can I link form fields within a Word document?

I would like to get some help myself and I saw macropod's name and remembered
that he had helped me befo I just upgraded from office professional 2003
to office professional 2007. I had created a form in Word 2003 with
cross-references and bookmark names that worked great. In order to move from
one form field to the next I would hit "tab." But, in order to do so, I had
to do something first like lock the document or lock the fields, otherwise by
hitting tab I just rearranged the form by pushing the form field to the right
instead of going into the next field so that I could type in it. I can't
seem to find the same button to hit in order to lock the document so that I
can tab through and enter the information in the various fields. How do I do
this in Word 2007?

"macropod"

Hi David,

Instead of linking the formfields (which is quite simple), why not use cross-references to their bookmark names
(Insert|Cross-Reference Bookmark), or create a formula field (Insert|Field Formula) if you're trying to do maths?

To link one formfield to another, simply set its type to 'calculation' and insert the relevant equation (referencing the source
formfields) or, for text, use REF Text1 (where 'Text1' is the source formfield's name.

--
Cheers
macropod

"David" wrote in message ...
Aren't there any proper help files for Microsoft products anymore? I opened
help, clicked on 'Can I link form fields within a word document?' and got
sent to this discussion group which then has links to other sites with
vaguely related stuff, most of which is out of date. If I just wanted a bunch
of links related to the topic I could just Google it. Is there anywhere I can
find proper help files or a manual?