Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Bulleting one line bullets all lines in document

What AmiPro did well was offer itself as a simple Word Processor that worked
to provide all the functions that most users required, without trying
unsuccessfuly to be all things to all men - like Word. It was easy to use,
easy to learn, fast and uncluttered. Reading the comments from Word 2007
users and having struggled for a long time to gain competence with that
version, it is clear that there is a demand for something that is easy to
use and does the jobs that most people require. Any software that is
unintuitive and stands between the user and his work only survives because
of the marketing power of its manufacturer. Lotus had that marketing power
and chose to throw it away. Is Microsoft making the same fundamental error?

Stefan Blom wrote:
AmiPro was brilliant! All it needed was for it to be updated to use
long filenames, but instead Lotus lost the plot and replaced it with
WordPro which was crap! Exit Lotus!

AmiPro may have been ahead of its time, but I doubt that it could have
competed with Word in the long run, even if it had been updated to
fully work with the newer versions of Windows.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Have you seen
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/wo...tercontent.htm. You
can download an AmiPro converter from my web site.

AmiPro was brilliant! All it needed was for it to be updated to use
long filenames, but instead Lotus lost the plot and replaced it with
WordPro which was crap! Exit Lotus!

Stefan Blom wrote:
Actually, in certain ways Word Pro was very good. For example, it
had what Word 2007 calls "alignment tabs" already in the 90's.

The problem with Word Pro was the poor compatibility with Word, and
a few bugs that were never sorted out. You can still use the
application, though, at least on Windows XP, and I keep an
installation of Word Pro on my home computer, primarily so that I
can read old *.lwp files.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The only thing I know about AmiPro and WordPro is that people loved
AmiPro and were convinced that Lotus had shot itself in the foot
with WordPro. --
http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in
message ...
Good point, but I would have guessed that "Automatically update"
is a relatively new feature. On the other hand, since it existed
in Word 97, it's been around for more than a decade, which I
suppose is an eternity in the software industry.

Not surprisingly, the reason I didn't think beyond Word 97 is that
it was the first version I used "for real." Actually, my first
attempts in word processing were with Lotus AmiPro (which was
probably already obsolete when I started using it) and then Lotus
Word Pro. --
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Or (in my case) Word for Windows 95 or Word 6.0 or Word 2.0!

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in
message ...
And it's not Word 2007, so I guess that leaves Word 97 and/or
Word 2000!
:-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I know it's not Word 2003 and probably not Word 2002, but it
was so long
ago and so fleeting that I wondered if I'd imagined it. Thanks
for the confirmation!

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in
message ...
I can certainly confirm that, for some versions (but I don't
remember which ones), List Bullet is one of those styles that
are set to automatically update.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I've seen versions of Word, I think, in which the List Bullet
style was
set to update automatically. Perhaps this style is being
applied when
you
add bullets (as a result of a setting in AutoFormat As You
Type)? --
http://word.mvps.org

"GoodWebby2" wrote in
message
news

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...eformatted.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks for the link, but this was not the problem. The
Auto-Update was
not
checked on my Normal style nor on any of my available
styles. Also, it
only
happens on bullets, not other format changes like bolds,
numbers, italics,
etc.

Any other suggestions on what might be causing this?

Regards,
Jim