Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Default index file - sorting items

Hello Cees

Cees Mulder wrote:
I am making an index file (MS Word 2007) where I sort out Article numbers.
In the document, I create an Index file named "b" comprising e.g. the
following items:
{XE "Art. 75" \f \b}
{XE "Art. 135" \f \b}
{XE "Art. 4" \f \b}
{XE "Art. 16" \f \b}
When the Index is generated, it shows:
Art. 134....page number
Art. 16....page number
Art. 4....page number
Art. 75....page number
I can understand why the sequence is as it is, but it is not what I desire.
The Index should look like - sorting the "numbers" only:
Art. 4....page number
Art. 16....page number
Art. 75....page number
Art. 134....page number
All items in the index start with "Art. " and this should always be visible.
The problem could be solved if the Index file could "overlook" the "Art. "
and ONLY sort the numbers...

the problem is not the "Art. ", but that the index treats/sorts its
entries as character strings. You can create entries w/o the "Art. ",
but that will not solve the problem.

The only way I see is to include leading zeros in the article numers:
"Art. 004" is sorted before "Art. 016", etc.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |