Graham Mayor

If you use split cells and the replicate function, it will conspire against
you - as you have discovered. You will need to manually copy and paste the
cell content into the required cells. It's a bit more trouble than Word's
propagation (and it would probably be helpful if you told the merge process
that this was a form letter merge document type rather than a label merge,
so that it will not try to pre-empt your requirements), but you only have to
do it once. You will still need a NEXT record field in every *label* except
the first (but not in every cell).

BK wrote:
I am merging data that is in the same file. My trouble comes when I
try to to insert the new fields (in place of the fixed data) in the
second part of the split cell. If I click on udate the label or
replicate, I loose these fields as these are replaced by the vertical
data and I am back to square one. I must be missing a critical step.
Any suggestions?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Provided you set the numbers with SEQ fields or have your mergeable
data in the same data file as the mergeable numbers (i.e. you can
only merge from a single data file) then simply insert your merge
fields in place of the fixed data in the split cell. Just make sure
you have only the correct number of NEXT record fields.

BK wrote:
I'm using mail merge to make labels that require two different text
directions. I have successfully learned the split cell technique
which solves my vertical (number) problem (Thanks Graham!); however
my horizontal text is not fixed text. It needs to match up with its
corresponding vertical number. Is it possible to do two mail merges
in this format? I would really like to avoid cutting and pasting.