bayskater

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply.

I hadn't thought of that, but I still have my original CD of Word 2000 and
could use that to install it on wife's laptop.

Fred
==========================
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Word can open Word Perfect files (after a fashion) and Word Perfect can (I
believe) save in Word format, but neither is an ideal situation.

The data files are not affected by the operating system.

Why not have a look on eBay for an original copy of Word 2000 and install
that on your wife's new laptop? Then you will both be singing from the

same
hymn sheet.

bayskater wrote:
Hi,
I have a desktop Gateway Performance 800 computer, Running windows
Me. I use Microsoft Word 2000.

My wife wants a laptop to use mostly for wordprocessing, cataloging
her book and other collections.

When shopping for one, I'm seeing most of them come equipped with
WordPerfect. Are these two programs compatible at all? If she creates
files in WP on the laptop, can I burn them to a CD and install and
use them on my desktop using WORD, or would I have to install the
WordPerfect on my desktop computer?

Also, I assume the new laptop will have Windows XP. Would there be any
conflict in importing her files into my desktop unit which uses
Windows Me?

These are probably dumb questions but I don't know the answers.

Thanks for any help.

Fred