I have suggested an approach that will give you that: a labels merge. If
your existing data will not serve as a mail merge data source, then you will
have to convert it to something that Word can use as a data source.
Natively, Word uses a table, but it can also use comma-delimited files and
other formats.

Or, starting with your current structure, add a paragraph break as the
record separator. Then use Find and Replace to replace ^p (paragraph break)
with ^l (line break). Then replace ^l^l (two lines breaks) with ^p. This
will give you each record in a single paragraph with line breaks. Then use
Convert Text to Table to create a table, specifying two columns and
"paragraph" as the field separator. This will give you a two-column table.
You can then set the row height to an exact amount to replicate your labels.

"Kenneth" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 May 2005 22:18:32 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Your original description said that you had tabs between fields and

carriage
returns (paragraph breaks) between records. Is there some reason you

can't
paste the data into Word in just this format? If you do that, then you
should be able to create a table with a row for each record and a column

for
each field just by using Convert Table to Text, with tab as the

separator.

Starting from what you have, however, it would appear that you've got a
paragraph break at the end of every line, including blank ones, so the

trick
here is to convert to a table using a paragraph break as the separator

and
specifying eight columns. This will create a table with an extra column

for
all those "¯" characters; you can delete that column. You will use this
table as a mail merge data source. This will get you right where you

would
be starting if you had done what I described in the paragraph above. Add

header row with field names.

Now create a label merge, entering the fields in order, separated by
paragraph breaks, and telling Word to suppress blank lines. For more on

this
see these articles:

How to create a Mail merge
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm

Creating a mail merge Data Source
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...DataSource.htm

Mail merge labels with Word XP

Hi Suzanne,

Indeed, in my most recent experiments, I do have a paragraph
break at the end of every line (including blank lines), and
the "¯" character after each record.

But, that structure is arbitrary. I can easily set it up
with any character after each line, and any character as a
record separator.

That said, I am trying to create a table with two columns
and six rows, and I want each record's data to populate one
cell.

Further, I want the data to populate the cell with the
original structure of the data intact, for example a cell
might contain:

Joe Bloe
1234 5th Street
Histown NY 20202
H: 505-555-4321

So, in essence, I want to have Word start at the top of the
data file and copy line by line (preserving the structure of
those lines) into a cell, until it comes to a Record
Separator. Then, I want Word to repeat, but, putting line by
line into the next cell, and so on.

Can you suggest an approach that would give me that?

Sincere thanks, as before,
--
Kenneth