SVC

Check one thing to see if this makes a difference.

Format Text Box, and on the Layout tab select any but In line with text as
the Wrapping style and select Right as the Horizontal alignment. (If I
select In line with text, I get the behavior you have described).

"Freelancer BJK" wrote:

SVC,

We appreciate your help.

I tested your suggestion and with left-justified type the box expands to the
right as the text gets longer. We need it to expand to the left even though
the type is left-justified.

We have found ways to make Word do many things that we didn't think it could
do, but this may be asking too much of the program. I don't think I could do
this in a page layout program (Quark, Pagemaker) or vector drawing program
(Illustrator, Freehand) either.

"SVC" wrote:

Try this to see if this helps:

Right click your text box, select Format text box, select the Text box tab.
Deselect Word wrap text in AutoShape and select Resize AutoShape to fit text.

This will let your text box expand to the left as you enter text and will
grow the text box to match the length of the longest line of text in the box.

"Freelancer BJK" wrote:

SVC,

Thanks for taking the time to help us out!

This problem is complex and I don't think I made it clear. There will be
hundreds of these documents generated. The two-line text will vary greatly
in length each time. Even though the text is left-justified, the end of the
longest of the two lines (no matter how long or short) must automatically be
a specified distance from the right of the page.

This would be easy if the text were right-justified. The lines of text
would just automatically extend to the left as needed.

"SVC" wrote:

You can create a textbox and then adjust the internal margins. Click Format
TextBox, select the TextBox, and set the right and bottom margins to .5".
You can position your textbox by clicking on the Layout tab, select Square if
you want text to wrap around the textbox, or select In front of text if you
don't, and select the Right button under Horizontal alignment, which will
bring the textbox to the right hand margin line. Then you can move the
textbox down to the right hand corner.