The actual setting is "Don't add space...," and it's grayed out unless you
are modifying a style (that is, it can't be applied to individual
paragraphs); see "WD2002: 'Don't Add Space Between Paragraphs' Formatting
Option Is Not Available" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284968. It
guess this feature must have been added in Word 2002 rather than 2000 (I
skipped 2000, so I'm hazy on some of its features).

I've never actually used this feature, so I'm not sure how it would be
handled in earlier versions. To be on the safe side whenever creating a
document for several versions, you can check "Disable features introduced
after..." on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

"DeanH" wrote in message
I have seen this 'suppress space between paragraphs of the same style'

check
box at previous jobs with different machines. But I don't see it on my
current 2000 version, is it an Addin?

What happens to the document if it is sent to someone who doesnot have

this
function? Does the suppressed space revert back to 'default' and all the
formatting go to pot?

Thanks
DeanH

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There's a setting in Word 2000 and above that allows you to suppress

space
between paragraphs of the same style (for selected styles), which would
allow you to add Space After to the style that would be effective only

for
the last paragraph in the list, but that works only if you don't want

*any*
space between the list items.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Mary Lee" wrote in message
I am working in Word 2002 and setting up a new template. I want to put

more
space after the last item in my numbered lists. That would seem to

mean
setting up a second style for that purpose, but then I get the problem

of
getting that last numbered item to pick up the numbering from the

previous
items. Is there a clean and reliable way to do this?
--
Thanks!
Mary Lee