Graham Mayor

If you have not experienced data loss then you have been very lucky. InCD is
a rather flaky application that offers minimal compatibility with other
similar software (even with earlier versions of InCD). It trades reliability
for the convenience of being able to use the disc as a 'big floppy'. Because
of the way this type of packet formatting is written to the disc, any data
lost cannot be recovered by conventional means. Using Nero to create
multisession data discs may take a few moments longer, but produces much
more reliable discs.

RW discs when used repeatedly are also vulnerable to damage that can prevent
them being re-written. Use them for test and non critical purposes (never
for a sole backup) and stick to CDRs.

MLZ wrote:
I have been doing this for years to CD-RWs and have never had a
problem. I really don't understand the negative implications.
Someone care to explain further?

"CyberTaz" wrote:

And each time you do so the file is one giant step closer to death.
Proceed at you own risk.

Good Luck |:)

On 8/21/05 12:02 PM, in article
, "MLZ"
wrote:

Thank you all for your comments. I actually just figured out how
to do what I wanted, though according to some of you this is a no,
no. I updated the Nero burning software that came with the new
laptop and an application from Nero called INCD that allows you to
format a DVD or CD to be able to use it like a floppy. I have now
formatted a DVD+RW, created a file in Word 2003, saved it directly
to drive E:, my DVD writer, and have been able to close the file,
re-open the file, change the file, re-save the file, etc. all
directly from the DVD+RW. Haven't tried to open it on my desktop
yet but that's next.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Not that I have done it, but saving to a CD AND THEN CLOSING the
document is probably OK.

It's trying to continue working with the document, or later trying
to open it and work with it from the CD, that is a NO, NO

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Opinicus" wrote in message
"MLZ" wrote

I'm confused. On my desktop I can create a file in Word 2002
(Windows XP Home) and click File Save As and choose my cd writer
drive and it burns the
file directly to the CD. I don't have to save it to my hard
drive first and
then copy it to the CD.

Your desktop is *on* your hard drive. When you save something to
the desktop you *are* saving it to your hard drive.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com