Anne Troy wrote:
Try this:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/h...osoft_word.htm

Thanks for the response. But I think you misunderstood.
I am not talking about numbered paragraphs. I am talking
about line numbers, which are enabled under Page Setup -
Layout. Read the footnote in my original posting.

There is no reason I can think of why bullets (dot style)
should precede line numbers. I have never seen them before.
I cannot see any way to enable/disable them -- not under
Page Setup - Layout, anyway.

More noteworthy, I do not see them when the doc file is
viewed with one version of MSWord (2003). I see them only
when the same doc file viewed with an older version of
MSWord (2002) -- the version of MSWord used to create and
modify the doc file, by the way. I mentioned that in my
original posting.