Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Will

Default H E L P ! Rich Text doc disables keyboard ??

Where is "normal.dot" ??

Is it a file I can find using Window's Explorer?

Or must I open Word to find it?

AND... is normal.dot something that is contained inside the word document?

So, when the DOC file is copied from computer to CD normal.dot is contined
within the DOC file?

And when the DOC file is ultimately copied from the CD back to another
coputer the normal.doc file goes with it?

thanks for the help.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Corruption to normal.dot is the most likely cause. If the user has
customizations, macros, or autotext entries they want to rescue, rename
normal.dot to somethingelse.dot, otherwise just delete it.

"Will" wrote in message
.. .
A work at home employee opened a Rich Text doc that we gave them in
Word... and after that their keyboard no longer works... on any app for
that user... unless they reboot the computer.

And now... once Word is opened at all... no more keyboard... even if we
don't try to open the questionable document.

Log on as another user and it works fine. (running XP Home)

I went over and tried to fix it.

I can hear the computer click when I hit a key... as if the keyboard
buffer is full.

Word seems to work however as I can select text, delete text, copy and
paste text, format text, etc with the mouse.

The file was on a CD and the same results happened when we copied it to
two different computers runing XP Home and MS Word.

I'm guessing some initilazation file for the user got corrupted but I'm
not sure.

Has anyone got any idea what is going on and how to fix it?

thanks for any help.