Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Converting all old Office Files to 2007 format

StefanKZVB wrote:
1. You can't use some Word 2007 features with doc files.

No you can't but your old documents don't have Word 2007 features.

2. .doc might become unusable with a future version - like Powerpoint
2007 can't read Powerpoint 4.0/95 files

This has never happened with Word before. Word can (still) open all previous
versions.

3. The "native" mode of applications is likely to be more tested /
bug-free / stable. Here's an example of a buggy implementation of a
compatibility featu
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

It's a bit of a leap to believe that may be true, given that Word's doc
format has been around mucvh longer, but I take your point. Do your old
documents have this problem, or only new ones you are creating in
compatibilty mode? If not I still see no reason to mass convert old
documents. Those that need to be altered to cater for modifications that
would benefit from the Word 2007 features can be done as the issue arises.
It seems you are just making a lot of unnecessary work for yourself, but
then I'm not paying you .....

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Why bother converting them? Word 2007 will open them and edit them
as they are?