Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default TOC portrait and landscape

As I mentioned in the other thread, in Word 2007 you have the option of
using the new alignment tab instead of a right tab for the page number.

"J Weir" wrote in message
Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I have just posted another question but will add it here too (I had
forgotten this thread (and am having trouble finding posts))

I did get the TOC working in both portrait and landscape orientation but
now
the alignment of the page numbers is all over the place. I am trying to
retrace my steps - it may be linked with adding the TOC as a quick part
(Word 2007) -- though I have had the same problem with standard plain
documents.

Do you have any ideas/help? Thanks Judiht

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Not necessarily. The style definitions for the TOC styles do not include
the
right-aligned tab stop for the page number. This tab stop is set
dynamically
(at the current right margin) when the TOC is generated. If your template
will include a dummy TOC, then yes, you'll need two templates, but if it
includes only the styles, then the tab setting alone won't be an issue.

But if your document can be used in either portrait or landscape
orientation, it would probably be wise to create two templates anyway.
Although the new "alignment tabs" can be used to adjust the header/footer
automatically, there are still other things you might want to change
between
one orientation and the other.

"J Weir" wrote in message
Hi - another question for you...

I am setting up templates and need to provide bith a landscape and a
portrait table of contents - I suspect I will need to create two
different
templates as the tabs for the TOC styles need to be different.

Is that the case or iis there something I have missed?

Thanks

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

What you are describing are two separate things. You can certainly
have
Word
look for custom styles when building the TOC. Any style in the
document
can
be specified (you can even specify built-in headings, to override
their
default TOC levels).

However, you cannot add a *TOC level*; these are limitied to nine.
What
you
can do is change the formatting of the built-in TOC 1--TOC 9 styles
(these
determine the formatting of TOC entries).

You can add a style to the be included in the TOC via the Table of
Contents
dialog box. In the dialog box, click the Options button, and type a
level
for
the style to be included (in the "Available styles" list); see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm.

For an existing TOC, just modify the TOC field code to include the \t
switch
(see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm).

You can modify the TOC styles via the Table of Contents dialog box.
Click
the Modify button. For details, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DJM" wrote:

In Word 2003, you could insert a TOC based on custom styles you had
made and
for each TOC entry, you could setup your own custom style so that
you
can
control what font, etc each entry in the TOC has
But in Word 2007, the Create new style for the TOC has the New
button
grayed
out.

Would there be a way to use the custom styles to control the appears
of
the
TOC in Word 2007?