Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Default how do I turn off restricted formatting?

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 01:15:27 -0800, "jacobite"
wrote:

I have recieved a document from a colleague and want to amend the formatting
- thing is, when I open the document many of the options on the toolbar are
'greyed out' i.e. underlining, numbering, bulleting e.t.c. When I right click
a piece of text and right click, in the menu that appears the options, paste,
font, paragraph, bullets and numbering are also greyed out.

When I select a piece of text and then select, say, the underlined tool - I
get a box saying 'The command is unavailable because the formatting in the
current document is restricted'?

Any ideas guys?

d.

Although you don't say what version of Word you're using, this
behavior should appear only in Word 2003. Your colleague has used the
Protect Document task pane to 'restrict formatting' to a particular
set of styles. Had it occurred to you to type that phrase into the
help box, you would have found a description of the feature.

Apparently it was your colleague's intention to prevent you from using
'unauthorized' formatting. You can try to turn off the protection by
going to the Protect Document task pane and clicking the Stop
Protection button. You may find that your colleague has also set a
password to prevent you from doing that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman