Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Steve

Default merge instructions from text file

This is an interesting assignment:

I need to feed information to Word 2000 telling it to merge given files with
given data, producing given output. I figure I would append instructions to a
text file, then have a Word macro periodically look at the text file, and, if
instructions were found, perform a merge. The text file would look something
like this:

c:\templatedir\document1.doc,c:\custdir\data.txt,c :\custdir\output1.rtf
c:\templatedir\document2.doc,c:\custdir\data.txt,c :\custdir\output2.rtf

So, the macro would merge document1.doc with data.txt and write output1.rtf,
and continue to the next record, etc.

I'm not a VB programmer, does this look doable?