Charles Kenyon

Yes, you can save them as templates or documents. These two types are not
interchangeable, though. Templates are intended to be the starting point for
new documents. Documents are intended to be the end product.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Anasazi" wrote in message
Margaret,

This sounds like a good solution. Just to make sure I understand you: I
start a new document using the initial layout (or open the first
'subdocument' that already has this layout) and then simply insert the
additional files to retain each 'section' layout...of course adhereing to
all
the bugs to make sure it works fine.

Dumb question here....(sorry I'm tired )
I assume I can then save each file (part I and part 2) as DOTs or as DOCs,
correct?

Thanks,
Blythe

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

You don't need master documents for this - not only are they buggy, but
as
you've found they aren't designed to handle your page layout requirements
(in fact, the converse, they would generally be used, if they worked, to
override page layouts with a common format.)

You should be able to handle this in a single document by using different
Word Sections for each page layout. If you already have the subdocuments,
then make the composite document by adding a Section Break at the end of
each subdocument (to store and preserve the page layout) and then Insert

File to import the subdocuments.

There's more information about sections at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...thSections.htm

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Anasazi" wrote in message
Hello,
A couple of questions about how to go about this scenario:

One document divided into 2 parts (33 pages & 70 pages) where both
parts
will use the same templates. I have 4 page layouts that I would like
use
as templates - they all have the same formatting for text, but images
differ
on each. The same 4 page layout will be used for each sub-chapter of
the
document. Page numbering should continue through each part (not break
up
into many chapters beginning with page 1).

1. I thought about using a Master document for this - created an
outline
per MS Help, but cannot apply the 'full' template - only the formatting
of
the text shows. Images are nowhere to be found. I belive that this is
how
templates work - text formatting only, correct?... but how would I then
go
about getting the images? Do I have to copy/paste into each
sub-chapter?

2. Or, do I need to create each sub-chapter on it's own (Newfrom
templatesave as .DOC) and then bring it into a Master Document?

I thought a Master Document would be the way to go because if I would
need
to print the whole kit and kaboodle at once, with the option to print
only
one chapter if need be, and it would keep the page numbering across the
document. I don't want to have to open 20 different word docs and then
print
each separately to create this manual.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,