Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default ~$

Hi Steve,

In addition to what Bob said, read
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm. The presence or
absence of any particular owner file shouldn't cause Word to lock up, but
you will have trouble if there are tons of these and other temporary files
that were orphaned when you powered off.

After cleaning up the temp files, if Word still locks up, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...peningWord.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
Hi Steve,

The 'owner files' (~$*.*) are part of the Word temporary file
structure it uses for normal operations explained here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211632/en-us?FR=1
It's not actually a document to be opened, but a placeholder to help
prevent attempts to edit more than one copy of a document at the same
time (which could result in losing document contents).

The Windows version doesn't matter in the creation of the temporary
files, but the settings for Windows Explorer do show hidden files
does affect if you see these temporary files or not.

Normally, when you close Word all files found from Start=Search using
~$*.*
should be found only in or can be sent to your Recycle bin.
If those files aren't being deleted then it can be from Word not
being shutdown properly, or folder permissions that don't allow these
to be deleted.

===========
"steveb" wrote in message
I have read the answers to this post but not sure the answer I need
is there.
I have upgraded from ME to XP
My MS Word program is Word 2002 SP3
When I open a document (eg: The Document) in Word it immediately
saves a 1k
document with the name ~$e Document (tilde and dollar sign replacing
first
two letters of title) in the same file as the original document.
Opening this
new document shows the information I have on File/Properties/Summary
for
Author and Company and nothing else.
Problem: Unless I delete this 1k document before I start working on
the main
document the computer soon locks and can only be reactivated through
switching off the power. Any suggestions?