Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Default Individual merge letters - add-in error

It appears that the macro falls because you do not have write permission to
the root of C: and thus cannot create settings.txt there. If you edit the
mergeapplication module to change all occurrences of c:\settings.txt to use
a path that you do have write access to (eg your documents folder) then it
should work ..... I think

C. Cunningham wrote:
Hi Doug,

I tried the revised template and it worked at first. I ran my merge
and it again let me through to the "Merge to Document" dialog box,
and then the "Select Filename Field" dialog box. I selected the last
name field, entered my file path and
clicked Continue. I then receive the following VB error message:

Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)':
Method "PrivateProfileString' of object 'System' failed

We may have figured out part of it. My IT dept. has been helping me
on this too, and he installed Outlook and all current Office updates
on my computer. Still, I got the same error message, so I don't think
that had anything to do with it. Then, he had the idea to give me
higher access rights to my computer, and, lo and behold, it works
just fine, separate files nice and neat.

I was originally at the "User" level, but we tested it at both the
"Adminstrator" level and the "Power User" level and it works fine.

Question: Do you know if full rights HAVE to be turned on for this
to work, or is there just a setting that we can change to allow it to
work with my normal "user" rights?

Thanks,
Cara