Actually, Word 2003 does allow you to print backgrounds; there is a setting
for this on the Print tab of Tools | Options. For all previous versions,
what Terry said will apply.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
The Background option in Word can only for creating HTML background: it

can
be viewed on screen. To print it, you need to save the document as an HTML
document, opened in Internet Explorer and printed; then follow the
directions below.

To print a web page background, open Internet Explorer and select Tools,
Internet Options, Advanced tab and check the Print Background Colours and
Images option.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"AJN" wrote in message
:I am trying to print text over a background I found on the Web. I have
: checked the background box in the options under tools, but it did not
work.
: I am using Windows XP home edition. I also can not print from a Web

page.
: Any help would be appriciated.