Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Default The search "Find Next" with "wildcards" does not function properly

What's the question?

"Philos" wrote in message
Concerning searches with wildcards in Microsoft Office Word 2003.
I am using the following characters in the search: [!.]@ and
the
box "Use wildcards" is checked. Options: Search All.
I use two words, for example Essene[!.]@will and click on "find next"
I was searching a document with 397,000 words and with a Table of Contents
in the begginning; and 2,500 footnotes.
When I clicked on Find, sometimes it would not search or give any results
at
all: not even a message that the search is completed.
Other times it would find several results of the search, and the next time
click on "find" the cursor/search would return to the beginning of the
document. When I clicked again on "find" again, sometimes the search would
continuue down from the point that it had returned back to the beginning.
I removed the Table of Contents and I get better results: more succesfull
finds. But still the searches keep coming back to the beginning of the
document and sometimes stop. I do not get a message that the search was
completed.