I think you're still missing the point. If the document had been modified in
the past without Track Changes turned on, these changes would not be
displayed. But you can still remove the markup by selecting Accept All
Changes in Document on the menu you get when you click beside Accept Change
on the Reviewing toolbar. The only way to be sure of not seeing markup is to
remove it by accepting the changes.

"Brian" wrote in message
That might work "if I WANT word to track my changes" You are sugusting a

fix
that is not addressing the problem.

I want to be able to open a document that had been modified in the past

and
NOT, I repeat NOT see the changes.

It is something to do with Microsoft Word not the document because if I

open
the document turn off markup close the document (With a save) and try to
re-open the document IT SILL SHOWS THE MARKUP.(I am not trying to yell

just
show emphasis)

Has anyone (who is offering sujestions) tried opening an old document,

that
has been re worded a few times, to see what I am talking about?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can open the document without showing markup in two ways:

1. Clear the check box for "Make hidden markup visible when opening or
saving" on the Security tab of Tools | Options (the dangerous way).

2. Remove the markup by accepting all changes (the better way).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Brian" wrote in message
So what you are saying is there is no way to open a document and NOT

SHOW
MARKUP?

This question has been posted on here about 5 times and every time the
question is not answered. I do not really care if past versions had

it on
or
not I just want to open a document and see the document not all past
versions. The reason this is so aggravating is in my job we reuse old

word
doc's for YEARS we have some (while showing markup) going back to 96.

do
not like having the inconvenience of having to hit view and unclick

Markup.

Can you set up a MACRO to do it since no one else can figure how to

turn a
default setting off?

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

You are confusing several different issues here.

'Protecting for tracked changes' is a setting that locks the

document so
that changes are tracked and the user can't turn it off from the

toolbar. It
isn't the same as just having tracked changes set 'on' (so any

changes
are
marked), nor is it the same as having changes (insertions and

deletions)
showing up in the document.

Word 2003 will by default open documents in the 'Final showing

mark-up'
view
if there are tracked changes in the document (whether or not

tracking is
currently on, whether or not document is protected for tracking). If
documents created in earlier versions of Word open like this, then

it is
because you were (perhaps inadvertently) tracking changes at some

time
in
the past, and you have never accepted/rejected those changes. Word

2003
has
a new view default here, but it doesn't turn tracking (or

protection) on
and
it certainly can't generate revisions that weren't already in the

document!
I assume the idea of the new view default was to alert people to the
revisions stored in their document to avoid embarrassment, though

from
the
posts here it often seems to ensure that Word 2003 recipients see

changes
Word 2002 senders had forgotten about without even trying to snoop

g.

The only way of removing changes in documents is to accept or reject

the
changes. But if all you want to do is clean out the revision

marking,
without any backtracking of the changes you've made, you just turn

off
tracking (if it's still on) and 'Accept all changes' (available on

the
dropdown menu beside the Accept Change button) - you don't have to

accept
each change individually. You can *view* the document without the

changes by
choosing Final without Markup, but that will leave the changes in

the
file,
and they will be visible on opening.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"CarolChris" wrote in message
If it is not enabled by default, why then does a form created in

an
earlier
version of Word and protected as a form (not for tracked changes)

open
in
Word 2003 displaying the tracked changes? It seems that Word 2003

thinks
the
form is protected for tracked changes. My company recently updated

Office
2003, and this issue with forms has been a major complaint from

many
users.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Track Changes is not enabled by default in any version of Word.

If
it is
turned on for a specific document, then it is because you or the
document
creator turned it on.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message

Is it possible to turn it off so that it does not track any

revisions
and
comments at all?

To clean up every file by accepting or rejecting all revision

marks
and
deleting all comments is a waste of time. The feature may be

useful,
but
the
user should be able to decide when to use it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at

the
options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message

How to override the track changes default?