Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Three Lefts Three Lefts is offline

Default Left, Center, and Right aligned text in same header

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 13:21:36 -0700, Rich Pasco
wrote:

I know this must be possible, but I sure can't figure out how.

I want to create page headers with some text left-aligned,
some text centered, and some text right-aligned. For example,
the document title on the left, the page number in the center,
and the section heading in the right, like this:

My Book page 13 Urgent Stuff

If I select any of the text in the header and click the alignment
icons in the toolbar, then the entire header is shifted.

What am I missing?

I doubt if you are missing anything.

The solution depends on what you want done with the middle part.

If you want it centered between the margins, then set a center-tab at
the midpoint, a right-tab at the right margin, and separate the three
parts with tab characters.

If you want the middle part centered between the left and right parts,
there is no good way to do that, as far as I know. I usually use the
method above and manually adjust the center tab. Less than ideal.

Another approach is to create a table having 1 row and 3 columns. Then
adjust the column widths as you like. This has the advantage that text
that is wider than the column will wrap, whereas it can cause havoc
with tabs. The downside is that you will get an extra paragraph after
the table. Word is incapable of ending a document part with a table.

Good luck