Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Three Lefts Three Lefts is offline

Default Left, Center, and Right aligned text in same header

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 13:47:40 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Both methods are absurd

I can see that you are now locked into labeling a solution that I find
useful as "absurd". My solution, and your alternative, are useful.
They may not be the most useful for most people, buyt they are not
"absurd". Your labeling of them as such is disrespectful. The other
solutions may be more useful for more people in more situations.
Different stgrokes for different folks. Clearly, you are more
interested in maligning my solution, than in looking for useful
solutions. That's unfortunate in someone who is supposed to providing
support.

given that Word provides a simple, easy way to
accomplish the task (using centered and right-aligned tabs, which are
already present by default in the Header and Footer styles or can be easily
inserted using the ruler), but note that neither method actually centers the
center text; it merely creates the same amount of space between the central
portion and those on the left and right. Sometimes this might be desirable,
but usually it is not what is wanted.

If "sometimes it is desirable", then how can it be absurd?

To see an example of this, set a center-aligned tab in the center of the
line and a right-aligned tab at the right margin (or apply the Header or
Footer style). Then enter the following text (which might be a typical
second-page header for a letter):

John Q. SampletabAugust 9, 2008tab2

Now do the same thing with the sample text and either of our methods and
observe the distance in spacing. You can judge which would be the more
pleasing in a given situation.

I can see it being used both ways. Your way is probably more common,
but certainly not universal.

Also, FWIW, I did not criticize you for attacking Microsoft.

I didn't say you did. But other "MVPs" did. You did, however, label my
soliution as "absurd".

I do believe
that the behavior you're seeing with owner files is anomalous and therefore
unexpected.

I don't know about "anomalous", but it is certainly unexpected,
assuming that Word is well-coded. But it did happen and it has
happened before. I have even had situations where I had to close
Outlook to get a lock on a Word document freed up. The entire Office
quite is buggy as hell. Publisher is a joke. Outlook crashes easily.
Woody Leonhard has documented hundreds, if not thousands, of bugs in
Office products.

In Word 2003, I've frequently been surprised to see that Word
will actually release xxx.doc for editing after I've saved it as yyy.doc
(despite the fact that ~$xxx.doc is still open).

So it sounds like you agree with me that Word does not know how to
make appropriate use of the Windows file locking mechanism.