Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Can I run Word 2003 with Office 2007?

I'm glad you got it figured out. :-) Yes, if you were trying to use a light
blue then the colors wouldn't swap. As previously noted, you need use a dark
color. Regarding your styles, yes, if you have defined a color other than
Automatic then it will stay that color.

Now there is another way to do this using Style Sets, one could create a
Style Set to be used for a dark background and one for a light background
and then simply swap them as needed. But this one is a little more involved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"E McElroy" wrote in message
news
I changed the font color of window text to be a darkish blue and tried
another experiment. I made sure to click the Automatic color box in the
Font
button palette before proceeding. Again there was no change in font color
on
the bright blue background that I've been using (I use the bright blue in
the
row of standard colors). However, going to a dark blue background or black
background, the font changed to white.

Using that very handy preview feature to check out the various
backgrounds,
it apparently is not so much the similarity between the font color and the
background color which triggers the change since I had background colors
which were a close match to the font color but there was no change and the
font was barely readable. However, on that last row of very dark
background
colors, the font changed readily to white on several of them.

In the standard styles that display with a new document, the majority seem
to have a specific color specified and there was no change in that color.
The
Intense Emphasis style is still red, for example, and the Title font color
was very close to the dark blue background it was on but Word didn't
change
it. But those fonts, and there were several, that didn't have a specific
color specified all came out white.

I don't know if DCH was looking for all white fonts or whether he was
happy
with having some of the fonts retain their original color. Of course, any
particular color can always be changed.

Something tells me that I learned more than anyone else on this particular
thread. The automatic color information you provided was informative and
interesting.

Thanks very much for the input.

Ed McElroy

"Beth Melton" wrote:

If you use the Automatic font color then Word will automatically
swap
the
darker and lighter colors for you. It will also swap the colors
when
you
print since the page color isn't automatically printed.

To try this:
- Create a new document
- On the first line type: =rand() and press Enter (this should
provide
you
with some dummy text)
- On the Print Layout tab, click Page Color and point to a dark
color.
Live
Preview should show you the automatic change once you select a
color
that
is
dark enough.
- Select the color and then switch to Print Preview