Did you look at Insert | Symbol? You should find the division symbol in
"(normal text)" (you don't have to use the Symbol font). You don't need to
type any numbers, just select the symbol and click Insert. If you use it
often, you might want to assign a keyboard shortcut. I have Ctrl+Shift+X
assigned to × and Ctrl+:, - (that is Ctrl+Shift+Semicolon, Hyphen) assigned
to ÷.

For more, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm

"superjen" wrote in message
hi, i probably did this a bit wrong, so sorry if it doesnt make sense, but
i'm trying to amend my own post.
i have a laptop..... so no separate numeric bit on the keyboard. i can

find
the symbol font ( yey i'm a genius!) but not the division symbol in it,

and i
can't get the codes that people offered me to work (i'm guessing its as i
don't have the numeric keyboard bit that ya get on a pc).... and i can't

get
my character map up either (i'm using the evil xp so i don't know where to
find it)
if anyone has a suggestion, could they possibly help and use really really
simple steps and idiot proof terms for me (*does sheepish look*)

"superjen" wrote:

my mum is a primary school teacher.. she wants to use microsoft word to
create a list of simple sums for her class... like ' 16 shared by 4=

four'
. but we can't find a mathematical divide symbol, even in 'symbols'.....

only
these ones are close, and they appear on the keyboard anyway!.....
we need one of the standard ones with the horizontal stripe and a dot

both
top and bottom....
any help would be really greatfully received... something easy would

also be
good as she's not very computer literate!
thanks! :-)