Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default directory doesn't merge records w/o next record field

If you are actually using a Directory type mailmerge main document, and you
are actually executing the merge to a new document (which is the only
possible destination) then, in that new document, you will get one set of
data for each record in the data source arranged in the configuration in
which you have the mergefields in the Directory type mailmerge main
document.

I suspect that you are not actually executing the merge.

I also suggest that you turn on the display of the mailmerge toolbar by
selecting Toolbars from the View menu and checking the Mailmerge item. Then
use the button towards the right hand end of the toolbar to execute the
merge to a new document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"VMHulme" wrote in message
In creating a customized directory, Word2003 stops responding whenever I
try
to merge or even View Merged Data unless I have the Next Record field
after the first record. Of course it then only merges every other record.
How can I fix this without being restricted to Word's "Address Block"?