toonei

Default SAVED WORD DOCUMENTS HAVE A ~$ IN FRONT OF THEM AND ARE GREYED OU.

Some of my saved word documents have the "tilde" and a dollar sign in front
of them and the saved document name has been altered. When I open them there
is no content. I did figure out that if I rename them to their original name
some will open with correct contents, not all though. Even after doing this
the Word icon is still very light colored, not like it should be. Any help
with this would be appreciated. I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 with
Microsoft Office XP Pro 2002.
Thank you in advance for any help...