ken sunshine

Graham,
Thank you very much.
Your first link didn't work - "Page cannot be found - error 404" but your
second link looks as though it will resolve my problems.
Regards,
Ken

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm which covers
most of your points - and also
http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm which will help with the
detail.

ken sunshine wrote:
I'm new to Word 2003. Mail merge seems to be less user friendly.
1. In earlier versions of Word the mail merge toolbar had a drop down
"insert merge field" button which displayed a list of fields. You
clicked on a field and moved on. Now the equivalent button opens up
a new window which requires selecting the field, clicking OK,
clicking close - 3 clicks instead of 1. This is particularly
annoying when entering a group of consecutive merge fields on
separate lines. The best way seems to be to open the merge field
window, insert all the required fields (2 clicks each), close the
window and then cursor along entering new line after each field.

2. When selecting the database you could specify a range name in
your Excel spreadsheet. I can't seem to be able to do this now

3. When selecting the database a list of records is displayed with
check boxes against each record. In one situation I get 30 real
records and the 100 or more blank records picked up from the Excel
database. I have to delete all and then individually check the real
records. I can't even select a block of records (with click and
shift click) as you can in most applications.

Am I missing something or has mail merge actually gone backwards in
user-friendliness.
PS Please don't refer me to the wizard's block address facility.